Friday, October 2, 2009

Today's Forecast: Rockets and Blue Skies

Yesterday was National Day for China. Sort of like our 4th of July, they celebrate the founding of the CPC with a big parade and firework shows here in Beijing. Yesterday was also the most beautiful weather we've had. Pretty crazy since the days leading up to the celebration were miserable. There was even lightning the night before - the only time cc and I have experienced it here. But like I said, the day itself was gorgeous.

Why? Because they "seeded" the weather! Check out the following article: http://www.nytimes.com/2009/10/01/world/asia/01rain.html?scp=1&sq=weather%20Beijing&st=cse

Before the Olympics they seeded the clouds by shooting rockets.














This time around they used planes and lasers. They even had a contingency plan for fog.

I don't know what to make of it. :) Josh was telling me how Beijing had a 6-month drought following the Olympics.

1 comment:

  1. awesome! tho they are really going in over their heads!

    ReplyDelete